Wednesday, February 06, 2013


Just in Time     For another Blog!

I appear to be having difficulties in nagging the people on my nag list, so I intend to Blog more and nag less!!

Now that could be a New Year resolution, but I don’t do them! The “system” tells me my nags have been sent, but on more than one occasion I have been told people have not received any! So here is a blog more worthy of a simple nag.

This Week at Hedsor Jazz we have a selection of our usual quartet suspects!

Clive will be on Trombone, Mike Wills will be on reeds, John Monney will be on bass, Ken McCarthy will be on keyboard and Mike Jeffries will be on drums. Bit like the usual suspects but more like the usual substitutes! Do come along, the music will be excellent, the admission price is reasonable and the beer is by Rebellion! 8.30pm start time.

Recorded Jazz

Have any of you managed to get in to the Eddie Condon Archive yet. There is over 20 hours of Eddie Condon and Friends on

http://tinyurl.com/bao26ea

I have managed about 3 hours so far, and it is well worth the effort. Don’t forget that they are MP3 files and can be saved for you to listen to whilst travelling.

Having had those as my main jazz listen of the last week means I haven’t listened to too much 12 cm plastic lately, but I have sampled 2 CD’s from Calligraph Records, Humphrey Lyttleton’s label.

They were his Parlophone Collection. On 4 CD’s you have in chronological order 100 recordings he made from 1949 to 1959. In various other forms, I have them already. One of my first LP’s, purchased with my first weeks wages as an apprentice was “Delving Back With Humph”, but it is a real delight to hear the all again. You can hear how he migrated from a Revivalist Band to a more mainstream sound, but one does become aware that the seeds of the later were there all the time. From 59 onwards it became a miniature swing band. But the early material is well worth a listen. 

Wally Fawkes

Bruce Turner 

are all in strong evidence. 

I only have volumes 1 and 2, but there are 4 in the set. Try Amazon or Calligraph Records themselves. The two I have are numbered CLG CD 035 -, and 035-2 and the track listing is reproduced below.




Well, that will do for now, I feel a coffee coming on.

No comments: