Tuesday, September 26, 2017

A Special Night at Hedsor Jazz

This week at Hedsor Jazz we have another of our occasional nights that could be called “special”!

No, it is NOT a ticketed event. Come and pay the usual £7 at the door. BUT we will have a few nibbles to chomp during the interval.

But that isn’t the reason it is “special”. We have coming to “play” for us on Thursday a singer. OK we have had singers before, but this week it is not a lady singer, but a man! He will be only the second male singer to perform for us at Hedsor (Michael L. Roberts being the first).

Peter Jones has released at least 3 CD’s under his own name, usually accompanied by people such as Vasilis Xenopoulos and/or Nigel Price, both names familiar to Hedsor Jazz members. This week saxophonist Duncan Lamont junior will accompany him. Duncan has been to us a number of times recently but Peter has never been to Hedsor before. Peter and Duncan have not played together before either, so we have the makings of another true great jazz event which I hope makes the prospect interesting enough for you to come out and support, even without the half promise of a sausage roll!

I planned this event with Peter without reference to last year’s diary. Why would I want to look back at last year I year I hear you think? In my planning I just wanted to celebrate the fact that I had gone past another milestone in my earthly survival. So I had fitted in with Peter’s diary as well as ours at Hedsor. Sadly when looking back on September 28th last year I saw it was the day Ken Rankine passed away. Ironic really. BUT it does give us another reason to come out to Hedsor Jazz.

Ken played for us so many times. He was a founder member of “The Clive Burton Quintet”, and played the bass for us nearly up until his death. I discovered in tidying up my in tray this week photos taken last year whilst I was in hospital in May of Ken playing for last years Cancer Research fundraiser, alongside Karen Sharp and Stuart Henderson.
So for whatever reason, perhaps just to celebrate that Hedsor Jazz has also survived since at least 2002, do come and be part of this weeks Hedsor Jazz. It starts at 8.30pm

No comments: